In the first years of activity, Dan Galeria founded in 1972 by Gláucia and Peter Cohn, focused exclusively on Brazilian Modern Art. Featuring works of 1920’s Modernist artists as Di Cavalcanti, Antônio Gomide, Ismael Nery, Tarsila do Amaral and Cícero Dias. After that, Santa Helena Group artists (1930’s /1940’s) Aldo Bonadei and Alfredo Volpi, were incorporated.
Gradually Concrete and Neoconcrete Brazilian artists began to play an important role in the gallery`s history: Lygia Clark, L. Charoux, Luiz Sacilotto, Fiaminghi, Alexandre Wollner, A. Mavignier and Ferreira Gullar. Antônio Bandeira and Yolanda Mohalyi, represented 1960’s Informal Abstraction.
In 1985, Flávio Cohn son of the founders created the Contemporary Art Department which opened space for Brazilian and international contemporary artists, all strong representatives of their medias and art schools. Then, Ulisses Cohn joins the directory board.
In the past twenty years Dan exhibited: Macaparana, Sérgio Fingermann, Amélia Toledo, Ascânio MMM, Laura Miranda and internationals: Sol Lewitt, Antoni Tapies, Jesus Soto, César Paternosto, José Manuel Ballester, Adolfo Estrada, Juan Asensio, Knopp Ferro and Ian Davenport.
International concrete masters are an important part of the gallery’s history: Max Bill, Joseph Albers, and British Norman Dilworth, Anthony Hill, Kenneth Martin and Mary Martin. Dan also incorporated important concrete artists: Francisco Sobrino, François Morellet, Getulio Alviani and the abstract geometric: Sandú Darié, Salvador Corratgé, Wilfredo Arcay and Dolores Soldevilla.
In the last few years, joined the gallery’s Contemporary department: Christian Cravo and Cristiano Mascaro (photographers), José Spaniol (multimedia) and internationally known: Tony Cragg (GB), Lab [AU] (Brussels) and Jong Oh (Korea).
Dan Galeria’s purpose has always been to highlight Brazilian artists since 1920’s until today, at the same time, maintaining a close bound with international artists.