- Art Basel closed on Sunday, June 18, 2023 following a weeklong presentation of the highest-quality artworks and strong sales across all sectors
- The fair attracted an attendance of 82,000 throughout the week, reinforcing its position as the most important convening point for the global art world
- Kabinett, a popular sector of both the Hong Kong and Miami Beach shows in which galleries present thematic exhibitions within their booths, debuted at the Basel show with 13 thoughtfully curated presentations from 14 galleries
- Visitors also enjoyed a range of public programs, including an interactive installation by Latifa Echakhch on the Messeplatz; Parcours, featuring 24 site-specific installations across the city – its largest edition to date; Conversations; and Film
- Art Basel, whose Global Lead Partner is UBS, took place at Messe Basel from June 15 to 18, 2023
The 2023 edition of Art Basel’s flagship fair in Basel concluded with highly praised presentations by 284 galleries from 36 countries and territories and notable sales throughout the week. 21 galleries participated in the fair for the first time, while 12 galleries made their debut in the fair’s main sector to present the full scope of their program. The fair debuted Kabinett, a mainstay sector in the Hong Kong and Miami Beach shows which allows galleries to showcase focused presentations within their booths and dive deeper into the practices of the artists presented. Curated by Giovanni Carmine, Director of the Kunst Halle Sankt Gallen, Unlimited featured 76 large-scale installations and performances, with Unlimited Night on Thursday, June 15 presenting special performances by Olaf Nicolai and Augustas Serapinas during extended hours.
Leading private collectors across the globe were once again in attendance, as well as patrons and representatives of over 240 institutions, including Centre Pompidou, Paris; Dia Art Foundation, New York; Guggenheim Abu Dhabi; He Art Museum, Foshan; Istanbul Modern; Kunsthaus Zurich; Kunstverein in Hamburg; Leopold Museum, Vienna; Los Angeles County Museum of Art; MACBA – Museum Of Contemporary Art Barcelona; MALBA – Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires; MAXXI, Rome; MoMA PS1, New York; Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal; Städel Museum, Frankfurt; Sursock Museum, Beirut; Palais de Tokyo, Paris; Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam; Royal Commission of AlUla; San Francisco Museum of Art; Serpentine Galleries, London; Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam; Tate, London; Today Art Museum, Beijing; Whitney Museum of American Art, New York; and Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa, Cape Town.